Friday, April 19, 2019

Spring Colors Quilt


This quilt was started in February. Most of the fabrics are from a Moda collection called Sunnyside Up by Corey Yoder, but there are several scraps and leftovers thrown in from other projects too. The Moda fabrics were part of a charm packet and I started by laying out the primary fabrics for all 25 blocks.
Already mixing in fabric from other projects
Then I started cutting pieces for the middles and corners of each block. Many fabrics are repeated in at least one other block of the quilt.
Mixing up colors within the quilt
I already had white for the sashing and I was able to incorporate some of the smaller scraps into strips within the sashing.
Adding sashing
All of the piecing was done on my Bernina 717. This one fits her table so well and turns out a beautiful straight stitch every time.

Not a free arm model
Once the piecing was finished, I had my assistant press the seams.

Lainie takes her job very seriously
After ironing the top, I basted the quilt together on the dining room table.

Layered for basting
Basted and awaiting a quilting pattern
For the quilting, I used my Bernina 1120. It was snowing in the middle of April on the day I decided to quilt. I turned my table so that I could see the flakes as I sewed. The living room does not have any overhead lighting, so I had to set up one of my Ott lights over the workspace.

There's snow outta them windows

Quilting wavy lines with using the walking foot
Ready for the wash
The finished quilt was photographed April 19th. There were a few hyacinth and daffodils out to pose with the quilt.
Quilt colors are flower colors
Quilting really pops on this one
Wavy line quilting viewed from back



No comments:

Post a Comment