Saturday, January 14, 2017

Borletti 1102

The gentleman who brought this machine in said that it had worked for a bit, but now thread was getting caught in the bobbin and it wasn't making stitches.  After posing for a few quick photos on the kitchen counter, this machine was ready to introduce himself.  I had never seen a Borletti in person before. This one needed to be cleaned up a bit, but it did have distinctive features already visible. The Borletti is Italian made and the overall shape and the white top on a different color body reminds me of a Necchi.  I think the gray color on this guy makes him look more reserved than my pink and green Necchis.  This model is the 1102.  The knobs, buttons, and levers are interesting and, to me, look a bit like gumballs stuck to the front of the machine. The bobbin winder is tucked under that gray panel above the hand wheel. The panel on the front center has a matching one on the back, they're both for cams for fancy stitching.  On the back there's also a max/min speed switch for the motor.
Here we are meeting for the first time
When I started cleaning I found a couple things that could have been causing problems for this guy. The first issue was with the brown threads hanging out of the bobbin case. I think this may have been a result of the bobbin not being secured in the notch. It was left to turn freely and thus created a mess within a couple rotations.
Bobbin arm should be reaching upwards not to the left
The second issue I found that was probably causing problems was under the needle plate. There was a significant amount of lint behind and below the feed dogs.
Packed in there pretty good
The third issue was similar to the second and didn't take long to clean out.  Not surprisingly, there was lint buildup behind the needle and in the tension discs.


After I got everything cleaned up and the machine lubricated, I rethreaded the machine and tried out the stitches. The machine was slow to start and then only sewed for a few inches before stopping again. It sounded like the belt was sliding.  When I took the belt out I found it to be very worn.  

Time for a new one
I looked online for a replacement belt, but turned up nothing. I couldn't find a part number or anywhere that someone specifically mentioned a replacement belt for the 1102. This belt is very narrow, here it is next to a 1/4 in. belt I tried.
New belt on left, original on right

The 1/4 in. belt length was a good length (20 inches), but it was not tapered and did not fit snuggly into the channel on the hand wheel, so I couldn't put the hand wheel back on the machine. I also tried a 1/4 in. lug belt that was 19 3/4 in. long. That fit into the channel on the hand wheel, but was not long enough to reach the motor. Finally, I ended up with a rubber belt that fit in the channel and stretched to the full 20 1/8 inches needed. I know that rubber belts have a shorter life-expectancy than others though, so if anyone has a source for a v-belt or lug belt that would work on the 1102, I'd love to hear it. With the machine reassembled, I tried out both the min and max speeds for the motor. It might just be my preference, but I think this machine prefers a faster speed. He seems to sing at the faster speed and it feels like he would sew through anything at this point.

All cleaned up and looking for a cabinet

Front, cam closure door open

Back, cam closure door open

Bobbin winder hidden near hand wheel

Bobbin case is free of loose threads and arm is secure in notch

The needle plate is small, but this one is in very good shape.

Top to bottom: Buttonhole settings, reverse lever (gray), stitch length regulator (black),  zig-zag limit buttons, zig-zag width control (red), left-center-right needle position (white), automatic reverse stitch length (black knob) and feed dog raise/lower button on bottom.
This machine is working well and will be going home soon.  I'm glad we had the chance to meet and hopefully, some day down the road, he'll update me on the wonderful projects he has tackled in the interim.

37 comments:

  1. Nice job--he's really looking distinguished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney,
    Nice work!
    My Mum has one of these. She got it from a friend 2nd hand in the 60's and made all her 3 kids clothes with it, girls formal outfits, bridesmaids dresses, countless repairs, curtains, you name it this machine did it. She did have an overlocker as well but prefered the Borlotti for most things. She has only not used it much in recent years as it has parts that are so worn she doesn't believe it is able to be restored.
    It is a beautiful machine, and I have very fond memories of sitting next to her learning how to sew with it.
    Thanks for your blog,
    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of these. It has been sitting in spare room for about 30yrs unused, I have original books, accessory needle hdwre (diff job feet and such), and many decorative stitch cams in black case and in cabinet. Will be getting out soon to clean, examine and oil. It ran fine (no excessive metalic sounds) when I inherited it. Was not used much as was owned by lady w/no children who worked full-time way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I’m looking at a Borletti for sale on my local Craigslist. Can you tell me if it uses the common 15x1 needles? Also, what style bobbins does it take? I’d like to rescue this machine but don’t want to end up with something with difficult to find things like needles or bobbins. Thank you for any help you can give.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, I'm sorry I didn't see your question earlier. I hope you did take a chance and rescue the Borletti. Depending on the model, I don't think you'll need special needles or bobbins. You could join the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/borlettivigorelli/ and hopefully, get all your questions answered. I'd love to hear if you did, indeed, rescue the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I have one of these machines, the machine is running ok, I am wondering if anyone has a stitch guide for the cams?My machine has front and back cams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unknown, I don't have an instruction manual or user guide myself, but I hope you're able to track one down online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too as I have just purchased a Borletti 1102 if a downloaded book which show things but nothing is explained.

      Delete
  8. I need an instruction manual and will pay for it of course

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just picked up my Mom's Borletti 1102. My dad bought it new for her in the 1960's. Mom died 20 years ago and did not use it for many years prior to her passing. It includes the manual and all the accessories. I will be taking it to a local shop for cleaning and am excited to use it! It appears to be in almost new condition other than the accumulated dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      We just inherited my husband’s mom’s borletti. It’s missing the power cord and needs anew belt. I would love to have a manual. Would you be willing to copy your manual and share it? I would be willing to pay you for your time.
      Thanks

      Delete
  10. I hope it feels like you're sewing with a friend when you sit down with your Mom's machine. What will be your first project?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello
    who can help me to know the needle number of the Borletti 1101?
    with kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encourage you to check out the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/borlettivigorelli. They have all sorts of helpful information on Borletti machines.

      Delete
    2. Works not properly..i tried.sorry

      Delete
  12. Hi, I have a Borletti 1102 which I used fondly for several years. Now its stopped working and soon thereafter I was given a small modern something. However, since then I've not bothered to get Borletti sorted. Therfore, I would now like to sell it. Any suggestions? I have all the cams and accessories. It could certainly do with servicing etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you sell your machine yet? I'd be interested, if it is still available.

      Delete
    2. Hi there! Is your plastic gear and horizontal axis of the shuttle hook still working?

      Delete
  13. I inherited my mothers sewing machine exactly the same as the one above. I don’t know how to sew at all. Is this a good machine to learn on or should I just buy a cheap one to learn on?
    I would love to download a PDF of the manual As I have read the most sewing machine breakdowns are caused by the owners not reading the manual thoroughly.
    Being a beginner so or I would need to learn even the names of the parts and everything from scratch any information would be very very helpful and appreciated.
    @Lovesblues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am in the the exact situation! i inherited my mom's borletti 1512 (i believe the machine is exactly the same, but the base is self standing, does not go in the surface of the table) and i don't know what does what. does it need the blue wheels to work? what's the easiest pattern? what are the basic settings for no pattern and say... 1mm step? so many questions, so much to do, so many projects in mind :)))) (i also don't have the user's guide either, i think my mom misplaced it somewhere...)

      Delete
  14. I am also looking for the manual, does somebody hace IT?

    Thank you in avance!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi is it possible to get a manual i pdf -format?
    Tor

    ReplyDelete
  16. If anyone is interested I can email all 55 pages of the original instruction book for the Borletti 1100-1101-1102 machines for a cost of fifty dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use both my old Borletti [1968] and my new electronic Bernina for sewing. The needles are standard, the bobbins are metal flat both sides [nor curved or perforated]. I still have books, cams etc and can provide helpful hints. The needle threader is excellent and was one of the first machines with one. A few tricks as they get old... move the lever to the top with the hand wheel before sewing, makes it easier to start. Don't use the 'slow speed' option switch. They like their oil and to be kept clean under the needle plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I understand that you know about your Borletti 1102. Can you please help me understand what a horizontal axis/shaft and plastic gear for shuttle hook is? And do you know a great shop or online shop where to get this part or even the whole Borletti 1102 hook mechanism?

      Delete
  18. I just received my mother in laws borletti 1102 with a machine cabinet, original manuals, and a greist automatic buttonhole attachment. I have a brother machine and don't have time or the patience to learn a new (but really old) machine. Any thoughts for what to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to buy one but not with cabinet.

      Delete
    2. Time has passed yet if in possession i would like to acquire. contact 402-689-0607 leave text and i will return thanks

      Delete
  19. How can I open neeedle balance plastic part of borletti machine?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I own one of these beautiful machines (borletti 1102), send me an e-mail if you want to purchase it or need instructions. I have a service manual and operational instructions. I'm also currently working on creating custom pattern cam discs for it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there,
    We just inherited my husband’s mom’s borletti. It’s missing the power cord and needs anew belt. I would love to have a manual. Would you be willing to copy your manual and share it? I would be willing to pay you for your time.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Did you ever get a replacement belt for your Borletti? I'm after one for that model so if you know a source I'd love to know. Thanks Lois

      Delete
  22. Hello. My mom had a Borletti. It is new, but when I tried to use it, a part broke. Do you know the name) Please...
    Do you have an email?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would like to have a copy of borletti FB1102 manual,
    thanks
    Jose
    kikotchoko@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Donde puedo conseguir un motor para este tipo de maquina

    ReplyDelete