Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Red Skirt Refashion


It started out as size XL skirt from Coldwater Creek that I got for $.70 at the Salvation Army.  Both the skirt and the lining were 100% polyester and there was plenty of fabric.
Started as a skirt
I never tried wearing this as a skirt as there was just too much fabric swishing about.  I liked the border pattern on the bottom though and hoped to keep that in the new design.
Stewie is pressing the fabric and pondering refashion options
My first step was to cut off the waistband and to take out the zipper in the back.  Then I took out the pleats that were about every 4" around the lining below the waistband. This was a tedious process, but it did yield quite a bit of useable fabric when the pleats were removed.
I had recently made the Eve pleated blouse from so-sew-easy.com in a size M and it was a bit too tight across the back of the shoulders so I reprinted the pattern to try out a size XL here. With a bit of finagling in the layout process, I was able to keep the border pattern from the skirt as the hem of the shirt. I chose to leave out the keyhole on the back this time only because this fabric was like cutting water and I wanted to make as few cuts as possible. I was able to get the border pattern to line up nicely on the side seams.
The pleats in the front neckline took several repinings.  Again, it felt like I was trying to fold water and pin it into place.  Not an easy task, but I really do like the look of the finished pleats. Sides and shoulders were finished with french seams and the sleeves were finished with a basic turn under hem. The neckline has white bias tape and the shirt hem is the original skirt hem.

Finished shirt on dress form
Here is how the shirt fits on me.  I don't know if I just need to go down a size in shirt or if the fabric was too flowy, but the neckline is too low and too loose for me this time.  I knew I'd have to wear a tanktop under the shirt because it is see-through, but I'd rather showcase the neckline without a tanktop strap or neckline peeking through.
Good finished shirt length

Border print lines up well at the side seams
Back seam blends in to fabric pattern

The front pleats do let this shirt hang nicely
I don't think I'm done working with the Eve pattern. Next time, I'll try the size L.


No comments:

Post a Comment