Sunday, March 4, 2018

Pink and Green Girl's Dress for Spring

Girl's dress for spring
This project was started several years ago by my aunt. She was sewing for her grandchildren. Before she finished though, the girls had out grown the dress and she decided not to finish it. When she moved homes, this didn't go with her and I added it to my pile of UFO's. Yesterday, I finally decided to try to finish the dress. The picture below shows what had been done on the dress by the time I got it. The pattern is McCall's M6270 and my best guess is a size 2. The top had already been finished and would only need the button added on the back.  All the pieces for the ruffles and the body of the dress were included and only pattern number 6 needed to be sewn on the sides.
Great start, all the pieces are here and the ruffle hems are finished
My aunt had already meticulously finished the ruffle pieces with wonderful pink trim and the neckline had pink bias tape.
I'd like to learn how to such small serged trim
Neckline is perfect
There are 5 different fabrics, six if you include the bias tape, used in the dress and all are well-coordinated pinks and greens. I didn't have the exact color of pink thread used originally, but I found something relatively close. I used my Bernina 1230 for this project and it worked well. After finishing the bottom ruffles and attaching them to the dress, I used some of the remaining fabric to cut out a lining.

Cutting lining
Lining in dress
For the back button, the choice was between a white and clear button. Final decision was to go clear.
Look how nicely those plaids match up
This was my first button loop. I know that the girl who ends up wearing this dress will not be able to fasten it herself but it should be quick for someone helping her.
Button with button loop
The finished dress. I really don't know if any of my nieces can still fit into this dress, but I'm happy to have it completed and it was fun to work with such bright colors.
Front view
Back view








No comments:

Post a Comment