Sunday, August 19, 2018

Elna Super 62C

Elna Super 62C
This was the first Elna machine I had ever sewn on. Well loved and often used, this machine came with a bit of a patina. The machine came to me after a customer decided she could not pay to replace the camstack gear so the machine could only sew a straight stitch. Fortunately, the customer had another machine that I serviced instead and she decided to donate this machine. It has the manual, carrying case, and accessories that originally came with it and I offered to clean and oil the machine and then find a beginning sewist to whom I could donate the machine. 
As it turned out, I got this machine shortly before going Ray White's class this summer though, and I decided I would like to try replacing the camstack gear with Ray's help. I knew I would learn a lot from such a project and then the machine could be returned to its full sewing abilities before it moved to its new home. I purchased a replacement gear from Ray and this repair took me a full day of class to complete. I consider that donated labor and well worth my time to invest in this project. 


It's all got to come out
With Ray's guidance, I opened the top of the machine and took out the stitch width selector, camstack reader, and camstack. The gear is hidden underneath the camstack, so there's a bit of work to get to it.











Hand wheel off and pulling out upper shaft
Empty now
Taking out the camstack, gear is underneath here
And there's the broken gear, notice missing teeth in upper right quadrant
Old gear on left, replacement on the right
Actually switching out the gear was relatively quick and then it was time to reassemble the machine.

About half way through reassembly
This is a project I was hesitant to take on until I could work with Ray.  Now this machine has a new lease on its sewing life and I'm happy it will continue to sew for years to come. I will find a project soon that will put it through its paces, but here are some pictures of how she looks now.
Steel travel case
All packed into case

Accessories tray that slides under the freearm

6 decorative stitch cams

The front panel of the case doubles as an extension table

Instruction manual and foot control

Machine with accessories tray

Back of machine
Does anyone want to share a praise or complaint about their Elna? I'm looking forward to learning more about these machines.






















No comments:

Post a Comment