Saturday, September 8, 2018

Denim Skirt, Simplicity 8699

Denim wrap skirt
The fabric is a lightweight denim I picked up when I was visiting City Sewing Room in St. Louis this summer. The pattern for this wrap skirt, Simplicity 8699 view D, was purchased at Joann's. I was looking for a skirt that could be created in a variety of lengths using a range of fabrics. A wrap skirt would lend itself to fitting over both my ample hips and fitted waist and button placement for the closures could be repositioned as needed. This one looked promising as far as fit. 
For some reason, I didn't take a single picture of the skirt during its construction. Apparently, I was completely absorbed in the process. I traced a size 20 and cut out the pattern last weekend and then spent today sewing the skirt together. Except for when I sewed the right and left yoke pieces on backwards, I was able to follow the directions without problems. That error was completely mine, and it was easily corrected when I figured out what I had done. The last couple steps were to sew on the buttons and the snap closures. For the buttons I wanted to use something out of my vintage collection.
Auditioning buttons
I think I would have been happy with any one of these options, but I decided to go with the smaller brown ones shown on the left. Hopefully, this will make the skirt more likely to work with a variety of tops.
Buttons chosen
The buttonholes were done on my Bernina 1230 using the #3 foot. I don't think they're the best buttonholes I have ever made, but they will work very well and I will continue to develop my skills in this area. I may have modified the button placement as I just tried on the skirt several times to see where they felt most comfortable. I didn't go back to see how similar the final placement was to the pattern, but I would bet its fairly close.
Buttonholes and buttons
One hidden snap on waistband
The inside of the skirt is not lined. Depending on what fabric I use next time I will probably need to add a lining, but for now it works perfectly fine.
Inside of skirt
Today is a cloudy, overcast day that doesn't lend itself to outdoor pictures, but I went ahead and did the best I could.
Front view
I didn't make any changes to the finished length and I like that it hits right above my knees.
I love the curve on the hemline
Back view, maybe could have used a bit more ironing
Yoke finished well
Pairs well with a Lark tee
Very comfy
I will definitely use this pattern again and try out the longer version as some point. It's the tail end of skirt season as we head into fall, but I'll be ready for warmer weather next spring.









No comments:

Post a Comment