Monday, July 8, 2019

Shirtdress B5526



The pattern is B5526 shirt, view A with short sleeves, that I lengthened to a dress. Fabric came from Ginny's in Rochester. I had all my fabric catalogued on my phone, but earlier this summer I was having trouble with my phone staying charged. When I took it in to the Apple store they erased everything on my phone and started clean. One of the things I lost in the process was my online catalogue so I don't know exactly when I bought this fabric or what the content is. I also lost the record of my finished projects, so it's a good thing most of the projects are also somewhere on this blog.
This fabric was somewhat slippery and I chose to use the Bernina 1230 with the walking foot for all seams and hems on the dress.
Finishing hem with walking foot
The collar and collar stand are edge-stitched.
Working on the collar
I decided not to put on the front pockets as the fabric has a bold print already and the pockets would require some serious pattern matching.
The buttons came from Vogue Fabrics. My first choice was a gray blue, but there weren't enough of those buttons in the store so I auditioned options. I decided to embrace some of the bright colors and tried out some red/orange buttons.
Started with buttons to match the gray blue
Again, with color
Buttons are spaced 4 inches apart
As usual, the buttonholes were done with my Singer 201 and its magic buttonhole attachment. There are 12 buttons on the front of the dress and even though my thread broke a couple of times all of the holes finished well.
Buttonholes
Once the dress was finished, I tried it on and decided it needed some sort of belt. I didn't have a pattern for the belt, but cut a 2 1/2 inch band about 48 inches long. 
Since this was a franken-pattern combination, I need to go back and trace the pattern to use in the future. It also needs some pockets in the seams, I need to figure out how to add those next time.
The first outing for this dress was last weekend at the rehearsal dinner for Nikki and John's wedding in Pennsylvania. After being packed in a suitcase for several hours the dress had a few wrinkles, but was perfectly lightweight for the warm evening.
View from the patio
Maybe a bit too much fabric in the skirt
Is the print on the fabric black holes, eyeballs, or donuts?
T and I enjoying dinner


No comments:

Post a Comment