Sunday, August 2, 2020

Floral Willow Tank

In the garden with the squash plants
This is my third version of the Willow Tank. The first one was made per the directions, the second one got a button up front, and this one changed to a size 14 top with size 12 sides to improve fitting. The fabric is a Waverly remnant from Ethel called "Courtship Rose".
Upholstery or curtain fabric possibly
After pre-washing, drying, and ironing the piece I had, I began to consider possibilities for the limited yardage.
Two and a half bouquets
I folded the fabric in half and moved the two pieces of the Willow Tank around to try out different flower placements. The front lined up very well with the flowers framing the neck and shoulders, but the fabric piece was too short to then cut the back piece from the remaining piece. I ended up having to turn the back piece upside down and to put in a center back seam.
Someone doesn't want this to lay flat
 I decided to put the center back seam in the yellow area to make it less noticeable. That ensured that there was no flower pattern to line up.
Center back seam
 The flowers now seem to wrap around from the sides, and I don't think it's particularly noticeable that the fabric is upside down from the front.
Center back seam is top-stitched
 The sides are finished with french seams.
French seam over the bust dart
For the armholes and neckline I had two options for bias facing. I ended up choosing the yellow as it matched the background of the flowers perfectly.
Pink or yellow bias facing
 All sewing, including the bias facing was done with my Bernina 1230.
Trimming the sleeve facing
Here is the shirt finished except for the hem.

Front
Back
After the hemming was finished, the shirt stayed on my dress form for a few days before I actually wore it. There wasn't a need to wear anything other than workout and work in the yard clothes. Eventually, I had to run an errand and I put this on for the outing. There was driving involved and I see that sitting down put some wrinkles into my shirt. That didn't stop an impromptu photo shoot though. Pre-pandemic, this business district was often bustling with pedestrians but all is quiet now. I parked my car and hopped out to set up the camera in the window of an empty storefront.
Dressed up for errands
Great flower borders on bottom and top of front
Side view
Flowers frame neckline beautifully
No people, bikes, or cars
A few more pictures were taken in the garden when I returned home. It was a very hot day and I was trying to move quickly before I started sweating.
Checking out the zinnias
Happy zinnias right outside the back door
Back length is good for sitting
Where does my shirt end and the garden begin?
Back view
Squinting a bit in the sun
I think I have the fit for this tank looking good now and will consider it a TNT. There will be more versions of the Willow Tank, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment