Saturday, September 17, 2016

Sewing Month Project #2


We are over half way through National Sewing Month.  Here's one sewing project I have been working on in the last couple weeks and a good reminder that not every refashion goes as planned. You think you're going to make one thing and the sewing gods have other plans. This skirt started out as a very large shirt that I bought at the Goodwill last summer.



I took the sleeve cuffs and collar off and then ripped the sleeve and side seams.  I planned to make a dress using the same pattern as I had used for an earlier blue and white polka-dot dress.  I decided not to line the dress and that left me just enough fabric to cut out all the pieces. 

Here are the pieces I had to work with after disassembling the shirt.

A sleeve becomes bodice pieces

I did not follow the grainline when laying out the pieces.  I was just trying to fit them onto the fabric. When I got them all cut out, I spent about 2 hours trying to put the bodice together.  When I finally tried it on, the armholes were too small, there was not enough fabric to put a zipper in the back, and there was puckering in the yoke.  I didn't have any extra fabric to make changes or start over,  so I scrapped the top and just sewed the bottom into a skirt.  I had worked the original shirt front buttons into the front of the skirt, but I needed to add bias tape for the waist and then a fastener for the waist. It's not what I set out to make, but it was a good learning project.  How are your sewing projects coming along?
Finished skirt



No comments:

Post a Comment