Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Shirt With My Pfaff 230

This shirt took me two weekends to complete.  I started it in September though, so can I still count it as a National Sewing Month project?  The fabric was a remnant from the Salvation Army. Pinks and brown are not usually colors I gravitate to and T says it looks like pajama fabric, but I liked the floral pattern on this one and there was enough fabric to make more than a scarf.  It may have started out promising, but I soon found the fabric difficult to work with due to the many times it snagged, frayed, and unraveled.  There are several places on the finished shirt that are darned and patched.  It is not a durable shirt and may only make it through 2 or 3 wearings, but I did get to practice a lot of skills putting this garment together and I think it was worthwhile in the end.
The pattern is one that I have sewn before.  Last time it was a heavier fabric and the sleeves were full length.  Here I went with the 3/4 length sleeves so it could be a fall/spring weather shirt.  I wish they were a bit looser so I could roll them up a bit.
Finished shirt 

Sleeves should be longer, maybe it does look like pajamas
 The shirt is sheer and needs a camisole underneath it.  A light pink one would probably look better, but I only have white.
Fall garden in the background
 The hem, sleeves, and side slits are finished by hand.  The pink thread came from one old spool that matched surprisingly well.  I ran out of thread on the spool and had to work with what was left on the bobbin to do these seams and put on the snaps.  My efforts to minimize wasted thread were not helped by the fact that I put 2 pairs of snaps on backwards twice each and had to redo them.  The original pattern had buttons, but I was trying to use items I already had and I didn't have any that were right for this project.  I was also worried about the fabric fraying even more under the stress of buttons.  I went with snaps instead.
Back fits well, should have taken the loose thread off before photos though

Sheer enough to see tank top underneath

Front has snaps instead of buttons
My Pfaff 230 did all the machine sewing on this project.  It did a great straight, zig-zag, and reverse stitch.  This machine came from the Salvation Army and after a good cleaning and oiling has been a delight to sew with any time I use it.  The patina on this machine is worn and the color is a bit drab, but I think it looks heavy-duty and so far it has tackled any project I have thrown at it.  I hope we have many more projects to work on together.
She's a workhorse

Good lighting, I need all the help I can get in the dark dining room

The table folds out in two directions for plenty of workspace

2 comments:

  1. Love the shirt and the story you tell! It's like I was there for the journey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Jenny. I'm still developing a writing style, and I appreciate the feedback.

      Delete