Sunday, November 13, 2016

A New Fall Bag

Blue flowers on the back
The bag colors fit right into the garden




















This bag was inspired by fabric that a coworker gifted me earlier this year.  Thank you, M.  She gave me a bag of fabric scraps and I used three different pieces from that collection for this project. The upholstery fabric I chose for the outside of the bag had fall colors and a great floral motif. There was enough fabric for me to do a bit of fussy cutting and get the blue flowers centered on the back and the front.  The front pocket focuses on the red flowers. For the lining of the pocket, I used part of a gray curtain from my coworker's scrap bag.  The last fabric scrap I incorporated was a dark rose/rust color that became the lining of the bag.  The pattern was Butterick 5659 tote D.  I opted to leave off the front detail, but kept the pocket because you can never have too many pockets.
Bag lining color compliments the outer fabric
After making the bag, I looked around for strap options.  There was enough upholstery fabric left to make a short strap for a shoulder bag, but I decided to use that scrap with the reverse side facing out as the trim around the rim of the bag.  Mom heard me lamenting the strap options and offered to weave one on her loom.  She picked the colors and the pattern and I love how it turned out.  Thank you, Mom.  Most of the bag construction was done on my Pfaff 230, but I attached the strap by hand using Coats and Clarke extra strong button and carpet thread.
Close up on the strap detail
Mom made an extra long strap and I decided to make the bag over-the-shoulder.  Now it's the perfect length for me.  The only thing I may still add is some sort of fastener to keep the top closed.  This bag turned out great and I'm already using it to carry around my current knitting project.

Hanging out in the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment