Saturday, November 26, 2016

Singer 201


Here's what the machine looked like on the first day she came to me. All the way from Dixon, Illinois, this machine came from the childhood home of a friend. No one had sewn on this machine in quite awhile, and it been in storage where it was exposed to water or humidity.  The decals are in good condition, but there is some worn paint and quite a bit of rust. The plug is missing from the power cord, the spool pin is bent, and the hand wheel is frozen in position. There is no foot controller or accessories. I looked up the identification number and it fits a 201 from 1941.  I had not seen a 201 before, and I was looking forward to seeing if I could get this one working.  The first step was using the air compressor to blow out years worth of lint, cobwebs, and rust.
Happy to be cobweb free

Water damage on the hand wheel and bobbin-winder?

Needle plate has two kinds of tape on it

Back view with the potted motor

Potted motor has water damage and spool pin is bent

Hand wheel does not turn

Decals look great

Needle bar does not move up and down
Now I will start taking things apart to clean and lubricate.  There is no way to plug this machine in  yet and the hand wheel is still frozen, but I have high hopes for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment