Thursday, March 30, 2017

Singer 403A and 401A

It was a cold and rainy day and a not-so-perfect day to drive down from Benton Harbor, MI to pick up a sewing machine. D didn't want to waste any time though, he was excited to pick up the 403A he has just purchased. Rain and traffic managed to delay D by about 30 minutes from our meeting time, but he was still very enthusiastic when he arrived.
Machine D purchased
As we were talking, D mentioned that his wife had found the listing for the 401A on ebay and was quick to purchase it.  I heard him say 401A and I had to clarify .  The machine we were looking at was a 403A in a table.  That was the machine that was listed and purchased.  D said that he had not read the listing closely, and asked what the difference was between a 403A and a 401A.  A fellow sewing friend had recommended the 401A to him for sewing clothes and that's what he thought he wanted. I happened to have a 401 in a case that I brought out and we compared the machines.
401A that D thought he was buying
The 403A has separate pattern cams that were included and the 401 has built-in decorative stitches.
Built-in stitches for the 401A

D said he was also hoping to use the double needle in the 401. He also preferred the portable case to the table so he was definitely interested in changing his original purchase. We discussed a price as the 40A had not even been listed for sale and I think both walked away happy with the new sale.

I told my husband how lucky it was that we happened to have D's desired 401A in the collection and could make the switch, but I'm not sure that was enough to sell him on why we still have some many machines. There are so many sewers and collectors who are looking for a treasured machine or machines and I love playing matchmaker.  I hope I get to do this for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment