Friday, March 31, 2017

New Bag, Old Pattern

I have a bag that my sister made for me years ago that is the perfect size for my laptop, folders of papers to grade, or books to return to the library. I have used the bag on car trips, to store knitting projects, and to stuff seed packets into at the annual seed swap.  For a couple years now I knew I wanted another bag, but this time I was going to have to learn how to make it myself.  A couple weekends ago I was in MN visiting my sister and family and we took a quick trip to a quilt store that was closing. While my sister perused fabrics for new bedroom curtains, I wandered the aisles trying not to think up 100 new projects that I wanted to start immediately. As we were getting ready to leave, we saw a sample bag hanging near the front desk and my sister recognized it as the same one she had made me years ago. When we got back to her house, she was able to find the original pattern/directions and I knew I had my next project. 
Upon returning to Chicago, I checked the fabric stash for remnants and this floral upholstery fabric called out to become a bag.  Another bright red fabric would work well for the lining. Both fabrics came from estate or garage sales.
"Hitchcock Stencil" pattern by Waverly Fabrics

Floral pattern looks smaller here than on finished bag
I used the kitchen floor to lay out fabric for cutting. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to work on my knees, but it does give me a nice clear work surface. My Bernina 830 was sitting on the table calling for a project, so I decided to see what she would do with the thicker fabric. For the most part she sewed effortlessly, but there were a couple hiccups when I was sewing through the bag, lining, and straps at the end. That did get to be a pretty thick pile of fabric.
Starting to sew the bag

Three sides sewn with bottom corners cut out

The process was repeated for the lining.
Bag and lining inside out
Next I made the straps.  The pattern suggested using webbing for handles, but I had just enough of the floral fabric to make fabric handles to match the bag so I went with that.
I like that the red stitching shows

The lining was then sewn into the bag and the handles were secured between the bag and the lining.
Everything has to be pinned into place accurately

The finished bag:



Inside the bag

My original bag my sister made is still a step up from mine because she put in an interior pocket and a magnetic closer for the top.  I'll have to add those improvements next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment