Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Chartreuse and Turquoise Shirt Complete


Bright colors and bold pattern
The last two days I worked on my shirt in the morning. Yesterday I started with the sleeve tabs. They were supposed to be a little wider and have a triangle on the end instead of just a slant--I'll have to read the directions more closely next time.
Tabs
Tabs with buttonholes and corresponding buttons
Next, I put the collar together and attached it to the shirt. It is edgestitched along the top and bottom.
Collar
This morning I put the tabs on the sleeves, set in the sleeves, hemmed them, and then added the buttons. Since the shirt is not lined, rolled sleeves reveal the backside of the fabric.  It's definitely a more casual look and I might consider lining the next shirt-maybe in a contrasting fabric?
Finished sleeve rolled up and secured with tab
The shirt was finished up today before lunch. It's very sunny outside, so taking pictures was a bit challenging. I tried to use the garden as background, but the lighting was difficult.  Here are a few shots that turned out well.
Back view
I didn't add any length to the original pattern and I like the finished back of this shirt. The pattern is also pretty well centered.
Side view
The tabs on the three-quarter length sleeves are a nice detail.  I don't think I'd ever wear the sleeves not rolled up.
Front view
I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the four hidden buttons under the front placket in the right place so that the placket would lay flat.  It looks like time well spent. In the original pattern there were pocket flaps under the front yoke, but I left them out figuring they'd get lost in the loud pattern anyway.

Ok, this last picture is definitely washed out, but it does show that the shirt works well for jumping in the garden.  That's another point in its favor, right?
I do plan to make this pattern again, but maybe not right away. What's next in the sewing project queue?


1 comment: