Sunday, October 15, 2017

Bernina 900 Nova

She was on Craigslist for 3 hours before I found her. I figured I was too late in responding and when I inquired as to whether it was still available the seller said that they would let me know soon.  Of course, there were other interested parties. About a half hour later the seller confirmed that I was next in line and that the machine was mine if I wanted it. Of course I wanted it!
Mom and I took 3.5 hour road trip on Saturday morning to pick up the machine from its original home. It had lived there since it was purchased in 1978. The machine was dirty and the owner said that it may or may not work, but it came with many goodies. It had purchase papers, original warranty card, case, power cord, the round foot control, bed extension plate, 5 presser feet, Bernina manual and My Bernina guide, embroidery hoop, ruler, and ten bobbins.
The machine came home yesterday, but I didn't start cleaning it up until today.  Here are a few pictures I took during the process.
Before any cleaning, I want to get that sticker off
I started cleaning under the needle plate, around the feed dogs, and in the bobbin case.

There was still thread on the bobbin when I opened it up
Some lint and dried oil, but overall not too gummed up

Hook is dirty, but there are no scratches or nicks
Clean hook
Opened up
Everything got cleaned and lubricated, as needed, before getting closed up again.
Next, I look off the end panel to check the condition of the belts.

Hand wheel
End panel removed and belts are in very good condition.
After replacing the end panel, I moved on to the top of the machine.  I was so happy to find gears that were not cracked, minimal dirt and dried oil, and very little lint.  More cleaning and lubricating moving metal parts followed.
View from top

Bobbin winder had some thread stuck below the stop, but it came out with tweezers
Back of machine, cleaned up and new felt for the spool pins

Foot control got polished
All clean and ready to sew
The sticker came off the front and while there are a few scratches on the paint, there is only cosmetic damage and really, very little of that.
Cleaned case
The case is missing some presser feet and sewing tools, but I am very happy with what it does include. In the process of cleaning the case, I made sure to take old thread off of the bobbins.  I want them ready to go when I need them. There were 8 different colors of thread on 6 bobbins.
Original case got cleaned and shill has the sticker with serial number on it
I did a few test stitches with the machine and it works very well.  Tension is good and stitches are clean. Sews a bit fast though, so I may need to change out the foot control.  Off to find a project to give this machine a test run.





 









2 comments:

  1. Hello. Thank you for your great post about the Nova. I recently added one to my collection. I'm wondering if you were able to replace the foot pedal. My machine also zooms away to top speed when I'm using it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not the pedal, it’s the capacitors on the circuit board. Easy fix

      Delete