Saturday, December 30, 2017

Bird Shirt

The pattern is New Look 6527 view B and the fabric is from the sale bin at Joann's. Since it was a remnant, there wasn't enough fabric to make even the short sleeves, so I opted to make something I could layer this winter. I cut a size 14 that graded to an 18 below the waist. Next time, I'll start with a 16 on top though, 14 was a bit tight across the shoulders and the armscye was too small. The shirt was quick to cut out, and since the birds were facing all directions I didn't have to worry about matching pattern. I like the neckline on this shirt and it went together smoothly.

Collar before
Collar with iron-on interfacing

Collar after
Next to get sewn on was the bottom half of the shirt.  The fabric is translucent though and the seam across the chest needed to be trimmed to minimize visibility.

Bottom of shirt added, need to trim seam across chest
The next pattern tweak came with the armscye.
Armscye are too small

Green line shows where I resized armholes

Larger armhole
Since there were no sleeves to attach, I finished the sleeve edges at this point and added the shirt hem. My Bernina 1230 handled this lightweight, slightly slippery fabric just fine.
Hem

The finished shirt. I love the birds and I think this will pair with just about any cardigan or sweater.  Since it is a bit see-through and there is no lining, it's probably better that it will get layered.
Front view

Side view: I like the high front-low back hemline 
Back view: still a bit tight across shoulders



No comments:

Post a Comment