Thursday, June 21, 2018

Finishing A Red, White, and Blue Miniature Quilt

Pieced a few years ago, time to finish the project
This quilt was actually finished last year, but I didn't get it posted until now. The red, white, and blue colors are  timely now.  There are some pretty small scraps of fabric in this quilt. The center of the log cabin block is only 3/8 inches square and the finished quilt is 19 inches on each side. 
Sketching out the quilting
This quilt wanted to be hand quilted, but I wanted to avoid quilting the actual log cabin blocks. The piecing seams were close together and did not need any quilting. I looked for patterns that would fill in the sashing.  The one I landed on is a combination of a couple samples I saw.

Hand quilting started in the corner
I used my 17" quick snap quilt frame to support the quilt, and with that I was able to work indoors and outdoors when weather permitted.
Sewing on binding and trimming excess fabric
The binding was pieced and attached with a machine, but it was then finished by hand.  All of the binding fabrics are from leftover reds in the quilt.

Binding

Finished quilt
The only thing left to do is attach a sleeve on the back for hanging.

Close up

Hanging out in the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment