Monday, June 11, 2018

Lime-Teal Quilt Part 1: Piecing

The fabric was bought at the end of January 2018. I was finishing up the orange binding on another quilt and this fabric followed me home.
Orange fabric hidden among the pile of new fabric

I started by making pinwheels.  Originally, I was thinking I'd make a full size quilt of all pinwheels.
These colors are not ones I typically work with, but they say spring to me

Blocks finish to 10 inch squares
After piecing 12 blocks, I decided to make a wall hanging instead of a full size quilt.
Pinwheels have been pieced
I planned to do a 3 inch sashing between the blocks and to make that sashing out of an assortment of pieced blocks. I looked online for inspiration and found many suggestions for 3" blocks and others that I could modify to a finish at 3". Some blocks were made in pairs or groups and some were singles. This was a good way to use up scraps leftover from cutting the pinwheels.
Sailboats

Churndash

Log Cabin

Flying Geese


Star

One inch squares
Slowly the sashing came together.
I start filling in the spaces

Lainie prefers this layout
Eventually, Lainie and I agreed on a layout and the sashing got sewn together. I love that there is so much going on here. The eye keeps moving to try to take it all in. 
Pinwheels with sashing
In May, my sisters and I spent a long weekend in Duluth Minnesota.  After piecing a wall hanging for my sister, we spent some time making blocks for the border of this quilt.  I brought my Bernina 730 Record and it sewed beautifully for three days.
Duluth, May 2018

Blocks that my sisters made
Given free reign to design any block they wanted to, my sisters came up with some creative styles.  No scrap of fabric was too small and no pattern was off limits. In a few hours one day, we put together enough blocks for about a side and a half of the border.  Then about a month later, mom and I headed down to Golconda, IL for a long weekend and we finished up the rest of the blocks for the border. Two sewing weekends with my family this spring--that was fantastic!

3 sides done in Golconda, IL
Mom cut all the pieces for the remaining blocks and I sewed on my Bernina 730.  

Picture is a bit dark, but you can see most of quilt
There are about a million tiny pieces in this quilt top and I'm glad I didn't have to cut each one myself. This will be one of my favorites to look at though because I can find so many blocks that I didn't make myself. This was a group effort by the Kluss ladies.  

Quilt with Ohio River in the background
 Now, on to the basting and quilting.  Will this be a quilt that gets completed in 2018?


No comments:

Post a Comment