Friday, January 18, 2019

Bat Shirt

My students think I'm a bit batty
The pattern is a hack for the Grainline Studio Lark Tee that I read about on the Guthrie&Ghani website. The author, Lauren, had modified the shirt to use for maternity wear, but I thought it would be a great relaxed fit for an everyday shirt.
I don't think the bats jump out at the viewer, you have to focus on one or two before you see them
The fabric was from Joann's sale rack. It was close to Christmas when I picked up this Halloween leftover. It's stretchy cotton though and I like the black and white contrast.
Pleat on top third of shirt, looser fit below that
The pattern change that Lauren wrote about is to add a center back pleat. My pleat extends from the neckline to near the bottom of the shoulder blades and it added 2 inches of fabric to either side of the back center. With the busy bat pattern, it is not very easy to see.
Side view
I used my TNT (tried and true) version of the Lark Tee and the shirt sewed up quickly. Unfortunately, I didn't wash the fabric before I started sewing and after its first wash/wear, my shirt did shrink up a bit. Now I've got 3/4 sleeves and I'll have to wear a tank top underneath to add a bit of length. That's ok, I'll plan ahead and hopefully not shrink the next shirt.
Lights on the grow cart make for a bit of an eerie background
Front of shirt is a bit short
I do like this relaxed fit though and will try it again soon in another shirt.

*The pictures for this post were taken at work and the classroom lighting is not always favorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment