Sunday, January 13, 2019

Chevron Quilt


This project was started on winter break in December 2018 and finished in February 2019. Originally, I challenged myself to use fabric colors and styles that I didn't have in my collection, a pattern I hadn't worked with before, and a sewing machine I hadn't used in awhile. I met two of those three goals, but the third one ended up being a bit of a stretch. I was planning to set up one of my rarely used Berninas, but there ended up being a movie on television that I had on in the background. I knew that I could sit at the cabinet housing my Pfaff 131, set up my ironing close by, and still be able to glance up at the tv from time to time so I didn't pull out any other machines. The 131 really is a joy to sew on, so I happily modified my plans.
Easy blocks to cut out and sew
Final rearranging of rows before they get stitched together
Finished piecing
Basting was done on my floor. I have two large green cutting mats that I can put down under the quilt so that I don't scratch my wood floors with pins.
Someone is watching me
How to quilt this?
My Bernina 830 was set up on the dining room table so that I had plenty of work space. The overhead lighting is pretty good in that room, but I did supplement with my small LED clip light for the needle area. The walking foot is the one I bought in Paducah, KY.
The final decision was to quilt concentric circles working from the center out. I traced a jar lid for the center circle and then spaced the others one inch apart.
Progress was pretty steady with this pattern
There was a fair amount of fabric and batting wrangling involved in the quilting. When sewing the inner circles, all of the fabric in the corners and on the outside had to be rolled under the arm of the machine. More harp space would have been nice, but this was definitely doable for a small quilt.
Sometimes I was forced to take a break
From the back, the circles look fairly equable and they really pop on the white fabric.
Add caption
For the binding I used one of the fabrics from the quilt. I chose the black and white circles to complement the quilting pattern. The binding was stitched down by hand.
Finishing the binding
Here is the completed quilt, but before it gets washed. Looking forward to seeing how the texture changes post laundering.
Front view
Back view
Here it is hanging in the dining room. I have not added the sleeve yet, so it's attached to the picture rail with the all-purpose Clover clips. These aren't colors that I have anywhere else in my house, but I really do enjoy looking at new combination of colors and patterns.










No comments:

Post a Comment