Sunday, February 10, 2019

Grandmother's Pansy Quilt


This quilt was made around 1931 by my paternal grandmother. Olive Schroder made it when she was engaged to my grandfather Alvin Kluss. The pattern is a bouquet of appliqued and embroidered pansies and all of the quilting was done by hand.

The flowers are appliqued

The embroidered stems and leaves are in a couple shades of green
I never saw this quilt on my grandparent's bed when Olive was alive, but after she passed Alvin used it until he decided it wasn't up to the daily stress. He passed the quilt along to my mother and then I got it from her collection. I did not intend to use the quilt on a bed and I opted to put a sleeve on the back so that I could hang it for display.

Ironing the sleeve
There is a bit of discoloring under the sleeve at top of quilt from years of use

Sleeve sewn on by hand so it would not show from the front side
The yellow and purple flowers promise that spring is coming



No comments:

Post a Comment