Sunday, March 10, 2019

Butterick 6388, Gray Shirt



Gray shirt for a gray day
I have made this pattern twice before, both as the tunic/dress version. This time I wanted a comfy sweatshirt that I could put together quickly and I decided to try Butterick 6388 shirt option. The fabric, leftovers from a previous hoodie and dress, was already washed and ready to go. I played with a bit of color-blocking here to maximize use of the scraps. Happily, there were only a few very small pieces left after this shirt was completed. I cut my usual XL size and then ended up taking in the sides down to a L.
Trimming the sides from an XL down to a L
Most seams were serged including the back, neck, shoulders, and sides
Color fits well, no bunching 
I did opt to leave out the pockets this time. There is a diagonal seam on both sides of the front of the shirt that give it a bit of shape, but these could easily house pockets as well.
Front diagonal seam
The shirt was sewn on my Bernina 1230 and I used the free arm when hemming the sleeves. It has been awhile since I've used that machine's free arm, usually it's tucked away in its table. A zig-zag stitch allows for plenty of stretch with this fabric.
Not a problem at all
Magic clips again for the hem
 The hem was done with two rows of zig-zag stitch. One about 1/4 in. down from the top of the fold and one about 1/8 in. up from the bottom of the shirt.
Finished shirt waiting for pictures
This shirt was completed at the end of January and I have worn it several times since then. I finally got around to getting a few out-in-the-real-world shots to complete this post though.

Gray and rainy in March
Just the sleeves and back are light gray

Close up of the top-stitched back and color

Anyone else excited that spring is around the corner?





No comments:

Post a Comment