Saturday, March 23, 2019

Teal Quilt

Photographed in the grass after snow has finally melted
This was pieced over winter break at the end of 2018. From the start I knew it was going to be a baby quilt or wall hanging because it wasn't a color used in my home decor and wouldn't get used on the bed. It would have gone together quicker if I had been using a jelly roll, but most of these fabrics were from 1/4 yards, charm packs, or scraps. There were a couple strips from an older jelly roll, but there was only enough for a section or two of each.
Some help cutting pieces
Close up, I find there isn't a dud fabric in the whole lot
I had quite a bit of fun cutting, rearranging, switching out, and filling in with these pieces. I did have a picture of a quilt that inspired me to start, but early on the project took on its own personality and headed it a different direction.
The colors remind me of the water on various days when I walk down to the lake
Finished piecing
Several times I found myself studying this quilt from a distance and up close. I knew it needed quilting that would add texture but wouldn't compete with the fabrics and pattern at either distance.
Trimming the binding
Since I already had my Bernina 830 Record set up on the dining room table, I took advantage of the extra work space and did all the quilting with the 830.
An extra LED bulb illuminates the work space from behind
There isn't a specific top or bottom to this quilt
Most of the colors in this quilt are a shade of teal, blue, or green, but there is one place where I put in a flash of yellow. Near the middle there is a small rectangle with a yellow flower and a yellow leaf. Another favorite piece is on the outside ring of this quilt. It is one scrap I had that has a four leaf clover. Both of these blocks make me smile.
Flash of yellow
A bit of luck sewn in
Quilting doesn't pop in this light and individual pieces are discernible
Random squiggle quilting adds perfect texture, it looks even more like water
Pieced backing
Finished size is 43 inches square

No comments:

Post a Comment