Monday, June 24, 2019

Lander Shorts

Shorts, for the 5 days we've needed them so far this summer
These started out as a muslin to test fit, but they turned out very wearable and will be a great addition to my summer wardrobe. The fabric came from a fabric remnant bag I picked up off of Craigslist. I'm not sure what the fabric content is, but it's thick and I think it will be very durable. The pattern is the Lander Short from True Bias Patterns. I cut a size 14 and left out the pocket lining since it was planned as a muslin. All sewing was done on my Bernina 1230 and buttonholes were on the Singer 201.

Front pocket, unlined
The back pockets turned out a bit smaller than the pattern called for because I decided to use selvedge for the tops and did not have to fold and finish the top edge.
Setting pocket before edge-stitching
Back pockets finished
Buttonholes done with Singer 201
 Edgestitching gave the waistband and pockets clear definition.
Attaching waistband
Buttons from the collection
Surprisingly, I found four matching brown buttons in the vintage button box and the hook and eye closures were picked up at an estate sale. The three bottom buttons are functional, but the top one on the waistband is decorative. There is a hook and eye underneath that button.

Buttons and hook & eye closures from the stash
Trying out the fit. There are some wrinkles and creases, but that may be due to having just finished sewing them and not pressing.
Looks good in front
Back pockets are even
I finished these shorts last fall, but they had to sit in storage until just this week. Here are a few pics fresh out of the Rubbermaid bin.
A bit wrinkly
I still like the selvedge on the pockets
Doing a little porch sitting with Stewie





2 comments:

  1. Checking to see if I can leave a comment if I’m not signed in through Feedly...

    ReplyDelete