Thursday, June 11, 2020

Lander Shorts for the Garden

Lander shorts for the garden
Here is another pair of Lander Pant shorts. This time I omitted the belt loops and incorporated the button fly instead of the zipper. The fabric is an upholstery fabric for outdoor patio cushions. It's a remnant I picked up on Freecycle a couple years ago. It has so many colors from my garden and the fabric should be sturdy enough to last for quite some time. The pocket lining came from a neighbor who was downsizing her stash.
Short fabric and pocket lining
The floral pattern on the shorts does not seem to have a specific up or down direction so cutting didn't take very long at all. I was not trying to match the pattern on any seams and purposely cut the back pockets from different sections of the print.
Back pieces with darts
Pockets with lining
These shorts were sewn on my Bernina 1120 with a little serging help done on my Brother 1034D.
Having sewn this pattern up a few times now, I don't have to check the directions at every step, but I still had to read closely when it came to putting in the button fly. 
Alternate, smaller buttons
These are not the buttons that I had originally picked for the shorts. I used my Singer 201 to make the buttonholes and I did do a test run, but apparently I did not check that sample close enough and after I had finished 3 buttonholes I realized that the openings were too small for the buttons. Fortunately, I was able to find another set in my stash that worked well with the fabric. The buttonholes are done in a light green thread and then that same thread is used for the hem because I ran out of the yellow I had been using for the rest of the construction.

Hem was serged then folded under 3/4"
Photos were taken in the garden yesterday between rain showers. The lighting wasn't great and it was still sprinkling in some pictures. 
The big pockets in this pattern are a plus
Button spacing turned out well
Side view 
Back pockets don't match
Comfortable for weeding 
No gaping in the back waistband
Sitting on the front stoop
Fabric colors complement the garden

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic shorts! 'Twill be an inspiration just to put them on. Such a pleasure to have a pattern than you can sew without worrying about fit.

    ReplyDelete