Sunday, June 21, 2020

Squares and Triangles Scrap Quilt

Hanging in the garden
All of these fabrics are from mom's stash and most of them had been used in previous quilts. I was hoping to use up some fabrics that had been stored for years.
This was the original size, but I didn't want light colors in the corners
Decided to add one more row of squares as a border
There were actually some fabrics that got completely used up on this project. They didn't leave smaller scraps to be used in another project. It didn't make a noticeable dent in the stash, but a few pieces out means there's room to take in a few new fabrics.
December 2019, piecing finished
Over winter break, the quilt got basted and then it sat in my to-be-finished pile for a few months.
January 2020, backing added

In June, I had been doing mostly garment sewing and was looking for a quick non-clothing project. My Bernina 717 was ready to go from an earlier project and after deciding on the quilting style, I was off to the races.
This was about the biggest quilt that would fit in the harp space of the 717
The walking foot and seam guide made spacing out the rows of quilting very easy
Stewie checks the quilting from the back side before binding is finished
For the binding, I pieces a few of the scraps I had and this finished off a few more fabrics from the pile. It was sewn on using the Bernina 717 and then finished by hand.
Binding done, ready for the wash
Finished pictures were taken in the garden.
Washed and drying in the sunshine
Backing was pieced 
Finished size is 60" X 60"

No comments:

Post a Comment