Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Liberty of London Blaire Shirt

On a sunny day
The Liberty of London Tana Lawn cotton fabric came from an estate sale in 2019 and there wasn't enough of either pattern to make a full shirt so I paired them together. The fabric I used for the top, collar,  and the front button panel has strawberry plants on it and the fabric for the bottom and sleeves has pink roses.
Layout for cutting

The Blaire pattern is one I have used before and this time I opted to lengthen the shirt 1.5" and leave out the side panels. Construction was pretty straight forward and I used french seams on most of the project. The shirt was finished at the end of June, but buttons had to wait another couple weeks.
Shirt without buttons
The buttonholes were done on the Singer 201 using green thread and I finished putting on the buttons during the July meeting of Loose Ends. The buttons were from my collection and I used all 8 that were on the card. The buttonholes are vertical because they were too wide for the button panel if set horizontally.
Buttonholes ready to be tied off and cut open
A cup of tea while I tied off buttonholes
Finished buttons
The top-stitching was done in pink thread.
Top-stitching
The finished pictures were taken at the forest preserve. I had been driving in the car for two hours and needed to get out and stretch my legs. The wrinkles in my shirt are from sitting so long.

Shirt blends in with background

The length is great now, but next time I will either add the side panels back in or lower the side hemlines. Right now, I have to wear a cami under this shirt so that I'm not showing skin on my sides.

Lower the side hem
Two wrinkled fabrics on the back
These two fabrics work well together

No comments:

Post a Comment