Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Polka Dot Blouse

The pattern is Eve, a pleated blouse from so-sew-easy.com.  It says this pattern is for intermediate sewists.
Background is see-through, polka-dots are constant
There are only two pieces to this pattern.  The front gets cut on the fold and the back gets cut as two separate pieces.  I used the rotary cutter for this one.
Pottery makes good fabric weights
 Sewing starts with the french seam down the back and then moves on to the pleats on the front.  There are six pleats on the front and they folded into place pretty easily.
Pinning the pleats
 The pinned pleats get staystitched and then it moves onto the shoulder and side seams. I finished all of these with french seams.
Pleats are staystitched
The last step is to hem the bottom and sleeves.  I love the color and polka dots in this fabric and it is so lightweight and flowing.  At times I felt like I was cutting and shaping water.  Every seam was thoroughly pinned before I went anywhere near the sewing machine.
Finishing hem on sleeves
 This shirt now looks finished from the inside and outside.  It's not actually reversible, but it could be with the right fabric choice if don't mind seeing the seams.
French side seams meet bottom hem
 I used blue bias tape to finished the seams.  It's a little lighter blue than the fabric. The bias tape doesn't lay flat all the way around the keyhole, but that doesn't bother me.
Finished keyhole
 Here are a few finished pics on the dress form.  Yes, this blouse will need camisole or tanktop underneath it when I actually wear it.
Finished front view
Pleats look great up close

Finished side view
If I make this pattern again I will increase the length by a couple inches and probably try the larger size. This shirt is a bit tight across the back shoulders.

Back view with french seam in the middle and keyhole up top
I am so pleased with how the keyhole in the back and the pleats in the front look on this shirt.  Now, I need to find the perfect layer to wear underneath that will allow the polka dots to shine.

2 comments:

  1. YOU HAVE A BLOG! I’m so glad I found it! I haven’t been able to access any of the resources from Kenneth’s class in Minneapolis, so I’ve not been able to keep in touch with anybody. This blouse parrern looks right up my alley - I’m off to find my own copy.

    ReplyDelete