Sunday, May 19, 2019

Shirt of Many Colors

This shirt does not blend into the background
This shirt is a TNT pattern, Vogue 1509. I continue to make slight changes to the neckline, but the fit is good and I don't mess around with that. The fabric was on the sale shelves at Joann's and is a quilting cotton. There are a whole range of bright colors in here and maybe not something I'd pick for a quilt, but definitely promising for a shirt.
Maybe I'm trying to channel spring or summer?
The fabric was pre-washed and then ironed one day and then cut the next afternoon.

I have made the front all one piece instead of the three it was originally
Skin is not visible through the fabric and there is no lining to cut. There is interfacing on the collar. On my fifth or sixth time putting this pattern together, I noticed that my skills in a few areas have improved. The hem is more even and polished looking, the tabs have a better shape, and the collar lays very nicely without any puckering.
Hem
Sleeve tab 
Collar top-stitched in black
The shirt was cut out and started one weekend and then finished the next. This time I opted for snaps on the sleeve tabs when I didn't have coordinating buttons in my stash. The black snaps are well camouflaged by the pattern on the sleeve. The front opening did not get any of the buttons or buttonholes called for in the pattern. Instead, it is sewn closed about halfway down and the top is left to hang loose. This may require ironing each time the shirt is washed, or I might learn to like the relaxed drape of the neckline.
Rolled up sleeves may need a lining
The finished shirt fits well and will feature regularly in my spring wardrobe.

Good length




No comments:

Post a Comment