Sunday, May 5, 2019

Butterick 5526- Brick Shirt

Sitting in the garden
Here is another Butterick 5526. This time I tried view A with short sleeves. The princess seams have been replaced with two front pockets.

The fabric is quilting cotton from the sale rack at Joann. Seeing it reminded me of a video game from the 80's called Arkanoid or Breakout. The goal in the game was to break up stacks of colored bricks by bouncing a ball off your moving paddle. I didn't have a gaming system, but I remember playing this game at my friend Liz's lake house.
80's video game
Fabric
The only change I made to this pattern was to add length to the torso. I used the length of view C when cutting out the pattern. Construction of the shirt was similar to one I had made recently and since there were no princess seams it went together a bit quicker.
Pocket with top-stitching
The collar was sewn together and then top-stitched with green thread. All of the top-stitching for this shirt was done on the Bernina 717.
Collar ready to be added to shirt
Collar stand
The collar stand on the back of the shirt has the brick pattern running vertically. I don't think anyone will ever see this as the shirt will be worn with the collar folded down, but I like knowing that little detail is there.
All seams and the hem were done on the Bernina 1230. This fabric did not try to slide around very much, but I err on the side of caution and often find myself using the walking foot.
Hem
After hemming, I put the shirt on the dress form to check fit. To me, the pockets looked a bit high, but I opted not to move them. The next time I make this shirt, I think I'll place them a bit lower.
Ready for buttons
The buttons came from Vogue fabrics. I had trouble finding ones to match the green top-stitching. These were a bit small in size, but they were the right green and there were enough buttons to complete the project that evening.
Auditioning buttons
Buttonholes again completed on the Singer 201 with attachment. I decided to go with the white thread as the buttonholes done in green seemed to overpower the actual buttons.
Checking size
I did not put a button on the collar band. I know that I have never worn a shirt buttoned up all the way, so starting below the collar makes more sense for me.
Not buttoned to the very top
I had enough buttons to add one on each pocket
Here is the finished shirt. Today we finally got a warm and dry spring day, so all pictures could be taken outside.
Trees are in bloom
Good finished length
Fits well across the shoulders

I am very pleased with how this pattern turned out and I am already thinking about ways to change it slightly for other fabrics and styles.









No comments:

Post a Comment