Saturday, April 27, 2019

Dress from Lark Tee Pattern


This dress is a revision of the Lark Tee by Grainline Studio. I used my sloper pattern to change the armholes a bit and then I lengthened the shirt to a make a dress. I was hoping for something that could be worn with leggings in cooler weather and without leggings in the summer. The fabric came from Mom's stash. It is lightweight and has a good drape, but the colors seem to swing towards cooler weather rather than summer heat.The fabric was laid out on the dining room table and the pieces were quickly cut.
Adjusted pattern with skirt added
Cutting neckband from selvedge
There are relatively few seams on this dress and the shoulder seams were put in using the Bernina 1230.
Stabilizing shoulder seams
The side and arm seams were done with my relatively-new-to-me serger that a co-worker left with me earlier this year. I keep this serger threaded with black thread and my other serger threaded in white and I'm ready to serge at a moments notice.
Serger from co-worker
Even though this project went together relatively quickly, I did find myself using 3 different machines in the process. The third machine I used was my Bernina 730 to put in the hem. Mom was kind enough to pin up a proper hem length and then I put in two rows of zig-zag stitch to hold it in place.
Finishing hem using Bernina 730 Record
Two rows of zig-zag stitching
This dress went to work about a month ago when there was a hint of spring in the air. The lighting is terrible in my office, but it was the only place I had to take pictures. Most of these photos have been edited in some way, but the photographer (me) didn't leave me much to work with in some cases.
Very comfortable to wear all day

Length is a bit short if not wearing tights or leggings
Back view
The neckline is a bit of the lighter colored selvedge and it finished well.
Neckline is top-stitched
I am still not happy with the fit on the top of this dress. It it too tight across the back between the shoulders and I need to widen the distance between the neckline and the start of the sleeve on top of the shoulder. Is it in my skill set to modify the Lark Tee even more, or should I move on and try another pattern?
Shoulders are too narrow, sleeve starts too high

I really do like the fabric pattern and colors though. This dress pairs well with a jacket or cardigan and holds its own when needed. Thanks for letting me take this from your stash, Mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment