Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Necchi BU Mira Update and First Project

I'm posting this update fast on the heels of my introduction for this machine.  I may have forgotten to actually post the intro a few months ago and just came across it when I started writing this update. Ah well, this will minimize any feelings of suspense you had about how this machine would turn out.
I started by cleaning the machine inside and out. I really wanted to get as much of the oil residue off as I could, and the chrome polished up nicely.  Next, I tackled the crumbling wires that attached to the motor.
Old wires
I took the motor bracket off the machine and then took the motor out of the bracket.
Wires coming up through bed of machine

White caulk extends around side of machine
The wires coming up through the bed of the machine had no insulation left on them.  There was a white putty substance that crumbled easily and then a line of white 'caulk' that went around the side of the machine.  All of the connections inside the box looked good, so I just planned to swap out the wires with crumbling insulation.

Take that gray wire out
A trip to the Goodwill for a power cord and to the hardware store for eyelets and then I was ready to go.  Once I got started, the process didn't take very long and I had a working motor upon completion.



From then on it was attention to detail that got this girl looking her absolute best. Here she is ready to take on her first quilting project.  I do not have a cabinet for her right now, but I will keep looking for one because she wandered a bit while sewing on this table.
She is beautiful!

There are a few marks on her paint, but she has aged well. 
Oil residue spots are minimized
After tension discs were cleaned, she threaded up easily

There is no crumbling insulation on that power cord

The needle plate has some rust that I couldn't get off, but it sanded to a pretty smooth surface

I took the wonder wheel off the machine for now.  I will need to replace the tire and find one missing part before I try it out.

The light works
 The first project I worked on with Mira was piecing a baby quilt.  This one was made from a jelly roll of Moda fabrics.
Assembly line piecing
Here is the finished top waiting for a backing
I loved sewing with this machine.  There was not one time that the thread or needle jammed up.  I was able to figure out the bobbin winder without the manual, and I like the sound the machine makes when it's working.  The machine feels like it has more power than was needed for this project and I'll have to figure out another way to put her through her paces.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful little quilt top! It must have been so much fun stitching it on the Necchi.

    ReplyDelete