Sunday, December 18, 2016

Singer Genie 353


This was a present from a coworker during parent-teacher conferences before Thanksgiving break.  I walked in to find this on one of the tables in my classroom and it was all I could do not to play with it instead of doing conferences.  Instead of throwing it away, my coworker offered it to me when it stopped sewing. I'm so glad she thought of me and sent the machine my way.  I welcome any machine in any condition--I can learn something from each one of them.
This was my first Singer Genie 353 and it came with the foot controller, but was missing a bobbin, manual, and accessories.  The handwheel turned very hard and it sounded like it was going to need some good lubrication.  My coworker indicated that there was a problem with the needle function and it wasn't forming stitches, but that's all the info I got.  No problem, I'll put on my detective hat.
The machine is much lighter than many I work on, and it tucked away neatly into a compact carrying case.  The machine, foot controller, and accessories (if I had any) are all contained in this box.  When you push on button above the Singer logo on the left, the front panel folds down and then the front, left, and side panels slide off.  Contained within the portion that slides off are spaces for the foot controller and accessories.  There is also a threading diagram inside the back panel.
You don't rub a lamp to free this Genie

Threading diagram
After taking off the case, I removed back and side panel of the machine.  After cleaning those areas out, I took the four screws off the bottom and accessed the bottom of the machine through the removable tray.

Inside of machine before I cleaned it out
There was a lot of lint built up and the grease had all dried up and discolored.  It took a lot of q-tips and patience to clean off the old lubricant.  There didn't appear to be any damage though after putting in some Tri-Flow, things started moving smoothly.  Both belts needed lint cleaned out of them, but then the handwheel turned easier and quieter.
When I got it all put back together I checked the hook, feed dog, and needle bar timing.  None needed adjustment.  I put in a new needle and found a class 66 bobbin.  The bobbin winder is on top of the machine and when I initiated the bobbin-winder setting on the handwheel it wound without any problem.
Handwheel with bobbin-winder setting

New bobbin fits well
I didn't know what to expect with my test stitches.  Last I heard this machine didn't sew, but everything was looking so good now.  When I started her up, she didn't even hesitate.  I had to adjust tension a bit, but straight stitch, zig-zag, blind hem and reverse all worked.  I'll have to figure out a project that will really put this machine through its paces, but I'm thrilled to have it working.  Not every machine can be saved from the garbage, but I do love having the chance to try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment