Saturday, December 10, 2016

Shirt of Many Colors


This shirt is so wonderfully soft and comfy.  I may end up making several more.  The pattern is McCall's 7195 style B and I picked both the pattern and the fabric on sale at Joann's.  I made the pattern as-is and the sleeves are a great length, but I think I'll add an inch or two to the torso next time. When I originally bought this fabric I was planning to use my 'new-to-me' serger. Unfortunately, two of the tension knobs are broken and after taking it to Ray White's class last month, I found out it can't be fixed.  I never even got to try it out.  Fortunately,  I have a couple sewing machines that could step in and handle this project.  I decided to use my Necchi Supernova.
This machine was rescued from a pile of rubbish curbside and it took awhile to get her going again, but I could tell she was longing to take on a new project.  I had just installed the pink beauty in table with a knee controller and I think she liked having a place to call home.  
Necchi Supernova

In her new table
I spread out on the kitchen floor to do my cutting.  There is a repeating pattern on this fabric, and I wanted to try to get things centered.  It looks like chaos, but I really was able to get the pieces lined up as I'd hoped.




Lots of color in this fabric

Cutting out on kitchen floor
When I started sewing, I just had to move back and forth from the kitchen floor to the dining room where the sewing machine was.  Sometimes these work spaces seem too far away, but it does force me to get up and stretch my legs and regular intervals.
Neckline finished, time for sleeves
Hem by hand
I could have hemmed this on the machine, but I find that for now I do like the process of putting in a hem by hand.
Front view on dress form
Back view

Side view
Back

Side, still with the glasses glare

1 comment:

  1. Great shirt! If you have enough fabric, you could probably add a band at the bottom and it would look like you meant it.

    ReplyDelete