Friday, December 23, 2016

Crushed Red Velvet Shirt

Just in time for the holiday, I finished my red velvet shirt.  I started with the pattern from my 70's vibe dress and just shortened it about 4 inches.  Now I'm thinking I should have added a couple more inches to the arm length and lowered the neckline a bit, but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.  The fabric was another Salvation Army scrap.  The shoulder and side seams were done on my Necchi Supernova Ultra Mark II and the hem, neckline, and sleeve finishes were done by hand. Cutting the fabric was very messy, but the pieces then went together very quickly.  The fabric is a bit stretchy, so it was forgiving with some of my errant hem stitches.
I wore the shirt to work yesterday and then out to dinner afterwards.  These pictures were snapped quickly near our table while we waited for our food.  The lighting is terrible and I put very little forethought into picture composition, but here are a couple pics to show the finished shirt.
Festive red
Front neckline is a bit high




Contemplating the next project

3 comments:

  1. The shirt looks really good! I wouldn't deem the neckline too high unless it bothers you when you wear it--it sits like a true boatneck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks and fits great, Courtney.

    ReplyDelete