Saturday, March 14, 2020

Kendall Knit Top from Style Arc

New pi day shirt
Yesterday was the Friday the 13th and the last day of school for two weeks. This Monday, teachers will be at school for the day preparing for e-learning and then school will be done remotely for the rest of the week. Last Thursday, when we found out that school was closing to minimize the spread of the Corona virus, I stopped off at Mom and Dad's for a quick visit before we started self-quarantining. Even though I will be working from home next week, I should have a bit more free time than usual in my day and I hope to spend a good amount of it sewing. Mom lent me one Style Arc shirt pattern that I wanted to try and she let me to take a few fabric options for possible projects later this week.
Pattern and swatch
Last night, I read over the Kendall Knit Top pattern instructions and a few reviews online. Mom had a size 14 pattern cut and modified a bit, so I decided to start with that. Mom mentioned that on the shirt she had made, the front didn't lay flat and the front hem hiked up a bit. I saw pics online from a woman who lengthened the collar in hopes that the area where it crosses over in the front wouldn't bunch up. I added an inch to both ends of the collar piece mom had made and originally meant to change the hem line, but forgot to do that. In mom's notes she said that she had taken in the side seams 1" and taken out the waist shaping. I added the shaping back in when I cut out my fabric.

Collar piece with additions to the ends
The fabric is from Lillian's remnant bag, I think. It's a blue and white stripe knit with a good weight to it. There is a definite fabric smell that I hope comes out in the wash. Otherwise, I may tear up if I have to wear it for any length of time. The cutting went quickly this morning and I did cut the back neck facing, but did not end up using it. I see where it is supposed to go, but all my seams were serged and the inside of the collar is not visible behind my neck, so I omitted the facing in the final construction.
The staystitching, hem, bodice facings, and sleeve hems were done on my Bernina 1120, but all seams were finished on my Brother 1034D serger. There are not a lot of directions for construction, but everything fit together well and it sewed up smoothly.
Inserting a sleeve
Finished pictures were taken in the backyard. There was a chance of snow today, but no flakes appeared. It's cloudy and cold though, so pics were snapped quickly.

That bird is admiring my shirt
Front hem does not pull up
Back is a good length
Next shirt will have longer sleeves, I don't love the 7/8 length
Very pleased with the final shirt

No comments:

Post a Comment