Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Face Masks

The call has gone out for all sewists who are willing to help to sew face masks for people working in hospitals, nursing homes, pharmacies, public service, and for personal use. Mom and I have been trying out several different styles and tutorials for making masks.  We have plenty of cotton fabric, but shape of the mask, type of straps (elastic or cloth), and size of mask have been variables.

Early versions
After those first few, I tried several different versions. There were so many tutorials, patterns, and directions available online.
This bunch that mom and I made were sent to Andy's nephew in NY
Karen from Sew on Central generously dropped off some extra elastic and I used it to make more masks. Those went to the drop-off bin outside her store.
Extra elastic
At this point I was pretty consistently making the pleated rectangle masks.
Perfecting the pleats
A few days later a neighbor asked for a couple masks for her and her husband when they went out to run errands. I walked a few over and left them on the front porch.
Walking these over to my neighbors
The last batch I made included some for another set of neighbors and then more for donation. At this point I'm low on elastic and have switched to cloth ties.
Serged cloth ties waiting for masks
Masks delivered to the neighbors


No comments:

Post a Comment