Saturday, April 4, 2020

Pink Sapporo Coat, Papercut Patterns


This fantastic pink wool is from the Salvation Army a few years ago. The pattern called for 3 yards and I'm guessing I had 3.5 or 4 yds. The fabric had been sitting in the cupboard and had fold lines in it. I brought the ironing board up to the dining room, pushed the table off to the side for more room,  turned on some music, and pressed out wrinkles.
This is my second time making this pattern and I traced out the S/M size instead of the L/XL size I used last time.The cutting and construction was fairly straightforward and I sewed everything together on my Bernina 830.
Finished shell
The lining for this coat is a cotton with butterflies. My mom's neighbor Kare shared it with me a year or two ago and I was waiting for the perfect project in which to incorporate it. It seemed like quite a complement to this brightly colored coat. When I laid out the fabric to cut, I noticed that when the butterflies looked right-side up from a couple feet away, they were actually upside down. You have to get in close to see which direction their bodies are facing. I thought the wider parts of the wings should be on top, but that's the opposite of this pattern design.
If you look closely, you'll see that all the butterflies are upside down
Since most people will not get close enough to see those details in my coat lining though, I purposely cut the fabric upside down. Now when my coat swings open, I think the butterfly wings look right side up.
Mom stopped by for a visit in the backyard last week and I had her take a few quick pictures on her phone.
Not a sunny day
Pink is still cheery
Still cocoon style, but more fitted than my last version
Finished neckline


No comments:

Post a Comment