Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Glittery Faux Fur Vest



Here's a festive vest ready for the holidays. As of now I don't have any parties on the calendar, but I'll be prepared if that changes. The fabric came first on this one and the pattern ended up being self-drafted. There was only a yard in the remnant bin and I was inspired to try my hand at a different type of fabric.
Shining in the remnant bin
I drafted a pattern that would require minimal cuts. This fur and the glittery streamers in it spread everywhere as soon as they were touched by scissors. I trimmed the fur in the seam allowance so that the seams would go together easier and then had to vacuum three times to try to pick up all the trimmings.
Drafting and adding seam allowance
Laying out pieces for cutting
Pinned and ready to sew
The back of the fabric was a bit rough and was getting caught on any shirt I wore under it. To help minimize this, I decided to add a lining.
Thrifted dress had plenty of fabric for lining
Cutting out the lining
The neckline, armholes, and hem were finished with the serger in white thread and then the vest was ready for an outing. For Spirit Week at school the week before winter break, one of the days had a theme of holiday socks, hair, or hats. I didn't have any of these, but I did have a great excuse to pull out this vest. I don't have any pictures from work, but I do have a few that were taken a couple weeks earlier by my sister-in-law, Victoria.
Putting up the lights
Warm enough that no coat is needed
These better work when they're finally plugged in

The lining is almost as fun as the outside of this vest

No comments:

Post a Comment