Saturday, December 21, 2019

Quilt for Soon-to-be Grandmother

A co-worker is expecting to meet her first grandchild this month. I made this quilt for her to share with her new grandbaby. There are strong patterns in the fabrics of this quilt and since babies don't see color for a first couple months, I'm hoping the little one will appreciate looking at the contrasting white, black, and shades of gray.
Two different sizes of squares
Fabrics are from a few prior quilts, the scrap bag, and a grab bag of remnants that I got off the sale table of a local quilt shop. 
The gray was originally bought for backing, but I don't remember which quilt it was for
I keep plenty of white Kona cotton on hand for sashing and binding, but in this case I think the gray helped calm the intensity of the black/white combo.
Basted and ready for quilting
 All of the quilting was done with my Bernina 730 using the walking foot. I set the machine up on the dining room table and it only took a couple hours of work.
Never a hiccup with this machine
Evenly spaced lines for the sashing and border
Close-up of the finished quilting
I did not have enough of the gray fabric to do the binding. A trip to Vogue yielded a shade of gray that was a bit darker. Now that I see it though, I think that may have worked out better than the original plan. The quilt has been washed a couple times and none of the fabrics ran so it is ready to meet baby. Machine quilting also means it should stand up to as many machine washings as will be needed.
Finished pictures were taken on sunny day in December. I had taken the day off from work and found myself walking around my neighborhood looking for new picture backgrounds.

Neighbor's fence with vines
Holiday decorations on the next block
Backing for quilt has sunflowers and bees, no shortage of color there
Ready to be gifted



No comments:

Post a Comment