Monday, December 30, 2019

Quilt of Many Squares #2


I started with 100 squares of all different fabrics from the flour sack and vintage scrap bags. I sorted the squares into 9 color families with anywhere from 5 to 12 squares in each. Most of fabrics were older, but there were a few contemporary ones that could blend in where more of a certain color was needed.
Rows of color
Originally, I was planning to do a postage stamp quilt, but it became clear that I didn't have enough unique fabrics to make anything of useable size. I let the 100 square marinate for about a month and then sat down to figure out a different layout. I knew that I would need to incorporate repeats of fabric, but I wanted to keep the 100 squares together as a focal point.
100 different squares
I started with piecing the square together and then backing them with white rectangles. Then I decided to do another row of the block pattern around these 4 in the center, but I didn't want to cut hundreds more squares, so I used rectangles and repeated some of the fabrics.
Taking shape
Stewie guarding the scrap bin
The piecing was all done on my Bernina 1230 and I was grateful to have the ironing board nearby as there was a lot of pressing during construction. As I added the 12 outer blocks, I hoped to be able to complete the quilt using the scrap bags/bins only. That worked for all 16 of the blocks, but I ran out of white scraps before cutting 12 rectangles for sashing between the blocks. Fortunately, I had some Kona cotton still on the bolt.
Using white scraps until the very end
16 blocks total
Center blocks are made up of squares, outer ring of blocks are rectangles
I ended up adding a white border so that all of the color blocks would be framed. The backing and the batting were scraps left over from other projects and the basting went quickly on the dining room table.
Backing is white cotton
There were so many seams in this quilt that I never entertained the idea of hand quilting it. For a little over a month, my Bernina 1230 was in MN at the spa. Fortunately, I had plenty of backup machines to keep me sewing. I put my 830 in the 1230 table and did all of the quilting for this quilt on the 830. I did consult with mom for quilting ideas on this one though. Acknowledging that there were many seams, small pieces in some of the blocks, and lots of colorful fabrics, I still wanted a design that wouldn't involve too much stopping and starting with the machine.

Mom's idea
Quilting on the 830 with walking foot
For the center squares, I traced a template and then cut that out of cardboard. Marking only the corners of the squares with a chalk pencil, I free-handed the sides. The quilt was small enough to maneuver under the harp easily and there was only one start/stop place to finish for each square. I tied off the threads and stitched them back into the batting.

Marking squares
The finished quilt hung in my classroom for the week before winter break and then it came home. 

Reminds me of Christmas ornaments
Quilting on back
Closeup on square details









No comments:

Post a Comment