Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Scrap Quilt

This is my last finished quilt of 2019. I did make one other quilt top last week, but it will not get bound or quilted this year. I started this quilt without a specific pattern in mind and was letting the size of the small scraps guide me. Most of the fabrics in this quilt are scraps from a jelly roll I used to make this quilt, but of course, I ended up raiding the scrap bags for complimenting fabrics as well.
There is no specific top or bottom to this quilt
For the backing, I pieced together some fabric from my Aunt Ellen's collection. It had been sitting in a drawer for too long, and by creatively piecing it together I was able to use up most of the scraps.
These were leftovers after Ellen cut a toddler size dress and pants
Quilt top and pieced backing have same colors
Basting went quickly on the dining room table
I was looking for a hand quilting project and this quilt seems perfect for that. There was plenty of gray background and not a lot of seams to quilt over. I decided to do a chevron style pattern. The V's of the zig-zags are spaced 1" apart, but since the columns/rows are not the same width it gives more of a lightening bolt effect. The quilting does not go through the color blocks and the stitching itself went fairly quickly.
I used my smaller Q-Snap frame
When all of the chevrons had been put in, I studied the color blocks for awhile to see what they needed for quilting. I decided that only the ones of a certain size or larger needed any quilting and those would get a border 1/4" inside the block.
Only the larger color blocks got additional quilting
The binding for this quilt is the same gray I used for an earlier baby quilt. It's a bit darker than the background, but provides a nice border accent.
Lainie is hard at work pinning the binding
Pictures for this quilt were taken on a walk around the block.
Hanging on the fence
Still deciding on which way is up
Pieced back looks great with quilting
Soaking up the sun













No comments:

Post a Comment